The museum was founded in 1938 as a staff museum for the employees of the Swedish Tobacco Monopoly. The museum, which was then known as the Tobacco Museum, held collections of items from tobacco factories incorporated into the Tobacco Monopoly in 1915. In 1965, the Tobacco Museum moved to the Gubbhyllan building at Skansen, and in 2000, a match section was added. It was then that the museum changed its name to the Tobacco and Match Museum.
In the spring of 2016, the museum’s new permanent exhibitions, which focus on the history of snus and matches, opened, and on 1 March 2016, the museum changed its name to the Snus and Match Museum.
The collections are owned by the Swedish Match Tobacco and Match History Foundation. The museum is supported financially by Swedish Match AB.